The weather for SMORR was far from ideal but we had fun anyway. We got in on Friday afternoon and met up with 5 others for a few hours of trail action before calling it a day and heading to the hotel to meet up with others who had just arrived for dinner.
Saturday morning our group of nearly 25 rigs met at the park and we aired down, ready to hit the trails. It was raining so the really hard trails were out. I took the the lead for the hard core wheelers while a friend took the moderate group. We started out on Log Jam which is a solid 4 and we all made that without issue. We decided to go down Cheap Trick as going up was probably impossible without carnage. It was fun going down but was definitely a little slick making the entrance a little challenging, and probably a little scary for those that had not done it before. All went fine though and we all made it down the waterfall at the end. It was lunch time so we headed back to the staging are for lunch with our group.
Someone had the great idea to do Rocky Road after lunch. I'm not going to mention his name but it starts with Dave. Anyway, we took 7 rigs to do the trail and I made it half way through before a hydraulic line on my steering ram assist started leaking. Luckily it was just a loose hose so a quick tightening of that and I was through the trail. I spotted Nick through next and then total carnage. As we tried to get my friend Chris through the area I had to make repairs in, he totally bent his draglink. I mean bad. Seriously. Bad. Look at it. How it didn;t break the sector shaft in the steering box I have no idea.
So now we have him halfway through this trail on a boulder the size of your living room sofa and he can't steer. We hooked a winch to the draglink and straightened it out some but it just bent right back when he tried to move forward. Our only option is is to straighten it the best we can and then use winches and snatchblocks to get him down the trail and back to the main road where once there, he can probably drive it back to the staging area and back on his trailer. Perfect example why should trailer if you're going to do extreme wheeling. Me, I don't listen to logic. Drive there, drive home.
Well, we managed to get him and the three Jeeps behind him backed down the trail and on the main road and he was able to drive it back to his trailer. That was...interesting. Oh, I failed to mention this all took place in a light rain that turned into a heavy rain and then back to a light rain before the operation was over. So now we are soaked for dinner and I already have a head cold. I wound up buying a new hoodie at the SMORR office and we wound up eating our group dinner in their cafe.
We were all done by the end of dinner with the exception of a few who went out night wheeling. We wound up heading home the next morning as I had a photo shoot yesterday afternoon with our models, which went well by the way.
Next up, my Metalclaok 6 pak shocks go on tomorrow morning and then it's time for the Kansa Krawl this weekend after all the snow headed this way mid-week. Yes, our photo shoot schedule is an absolute mess right now and leaving for Vegas is probably the worst thing we could do right now but there is no going back. We will survive this all somehow.
Lastly, got a great shot at SMORR in the fog.


No comments:
Post a Comment