Friday, July 27, 2018

The day after we did Holy Cross, I had planned a day of relaxation and sight seeing.  We slept in a bit before heading into Frisco for breakfast and so the girls could do some shopping.  Afterward, we gassed up and headed to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.  It took about 2 1/2 hours to get to Estes Park and while there we roamed the river walk, visited some shops and had some ice cream before heading to RMNP.  By now it was around 5pm, which I had planned for us to be their in the evening for the likelihood of more animal sightings.  It was perfect timing it seems as we hadn't been in the park long before we spotted a large mule deer buck bedded down under a tree by the roadside.  As we progressed further, we fed chipmunks at a scenic overlook and at some higher elevations we saw a lot of elk.  Later, we saw some moose and the highlight of the visit was seeing three moose followed by a bull moose with some pretty impressive antlers.  I have video of them walking within 25 yards of me.  I had never seen a bull moose in person before so it was pretty impressive.









After a late dinner in Granby, we had a nice night drive home, doors off and top down.  We were on a highway that not many were on and we had a couple close calls with deer so I decided to run my light bar most of the way, only having to turn it off about 3 times for oncoming traffic.  I was leading and those behind me said it was quite a sight to see the whole highway lit up in front of them.

    

No comments: