Sunday, August 21, 2011

Jodi and I had a nice evening together last night as we went to dinner and then to the Parkville Days Riverfest.  This year, the festival had to be moved further into the town due to flooding along the river.  There were a lot of sandbag walls still up even though the water has receded.  There's an ongoing battle right now with the business owners and city officials about getting them removed.  The city wants them to remain until they are assured by the Corps of Engineers that there will be no more flooding from their piss poor river management upstream.  The business owners want the sandbags removed now as they feel they are a detriment to business. 

In addition to carnival rides and food, they had vendors who sell everything from jewelry and clothing to antiques and collectibles.  Jodi bought a couple pieces of custom jewelry she liked and we got some fresh squeezed lemonade while we strolled around taking in all of the sights.

I found the band they had playing very entertaining.  They were a cajun/creole band and the music had a fast tempo.  One of the band members played what probably would be a washboard in a country/bluegrass band but it was ribbed metal and he wore it like armor on his chest.  He used some metal objects to make the scratching noise as he danced around on the stage.  He was very entertaining by himself.   The crowd seemed to enjoy it as well. The band was rounded out by a guitar player, bass player and a drummer. 

Earlier in the day, I picked us some seamless background paper to use as a backdrop for portrait photography work.  I found a great deal on Craigslist and bought two new rolls for about 33% of the original cost.  Gotta love great deals.  While Jodi is at the lake this week, I will probably work on getting my studio set up.




No comments: